Saturday, April 7, 2012

Salad


"Salad"
oil on board, 6"x 6"

I thought I would paint part of the big picture I have been working on with kids. I have been in residence at our local elementary school on Vashon for weeks now with the Vashon Artists in the Schools program (VAIS). We have had an incredible change in our lunch menu to really healthy food and the art grant is for creating huge healthy food murals to go along with this. There will be six 5 foot by 7 foot panels painted by three classes. The first set is of salad. The kids tossed out a millions of ideas for what should go into the salad. Below is the first mural finished. It was painted all by the kids and is 5' x 14' long!!!! I'm very proud of their hard work. I should add that they are all in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade. It is a composite photograph as I could only shoot it in 3 frames due to size. There will be 4 more panels to come.



kids working...



"The Big Salad"
5' x 14' mural 
by Mrs. Berliner's multiage class
(click to see it larger!)

No comments:

Post a Comment