Monday, August 24, 2009

painting the Masters- The Reader

after The Reader by Jean-Honore Fragonard
oil on paper, 14x14"
study NFS

I am going to embark on painting a version of a few of my very favorite paintings over the next month or so. They will probably be intermixed with my regular daily paintings. I've wanted to do this for a while and thought the fall was just the time. I love this painting by Fragonard. I think it is my favorite of all time. Given a longer time to paint in a day I might try this again including book and dress etc. It's just so beautiful. I saw it in person at the Impressionist exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum last year (where they had earlier works and the later works that these works influenced) and could have stood there for hours, drawn in by color mostly. My version has some drawing issues with the length of her face but I really enjoyed working on the remarkable color and tones in her face.

1 comment:

  1. I think she is beautiful, Kristin, truly. I think I need to get out to the art museum one of these days. I'm missing way too much and I haven't been to one since seeing the Picasso exhibit at the Tacoma Art Museum through a special PLU function there back in 1999, I guess it was. Maybe even 1998. If I had to pick one thing only to love and enjoy throughout a lifetime, it would definitely hands down be reading. Hope to see the version where she is holding the book soon! This piece speaks to me...

    ReplyDelete