Monday, May 2, 2011

Study 1 of Stewart Kershaw

Study 1 of Stewart Kershaw
oil on board, 8"x 8"

I am going to be working on a portrait of my friend and very well known and beloved conductor Stewart Kershaw. His list of accomplishments is incredible and I had the great opportunity to play under him for many years during his tenure with the Pacific Northwest Ballet Orchestra and the Auburn Symphony. He graciously has allowed me to photograph him conducting so my portrait could be in action and then will be sitting for me from life as I work on the piece. I'm starting the process with a few small studies to get the my ideas flowing for the perfect pose. It is a point of reference from the orchestra that I remember and this is how I want to paint him.

In this pose, he is conducting a most somber and quiet part of one of Mahler's songs for tenor and orchestra. I love the gesture of his hand and the weight of his expression. More to come.


3 comments: